Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Take the helmet of salvation: Therefore stand 6 (Ephesians 6:17)

There is a reason that the law requires the wearing of a helmet for cyclists and skateboarders. It is that the head is so easily injured. Likewise the Roman helmet was worn to protect this most vulnerable part of the body. The helmet in this description of the various parts of the armour of God, is described as “of salvation.” And the very least of what this must mean, is that an essential part of our armour, an essential part of what enables us to stand, is knowing that we are saved, having the assurance of our salvation.

The Scripture tells us that the fear of death can keep us in lifelong bondage, but that it is his intention to release us from that (Hebrews 2:15). We are intended to know we are saved, intended to have this insurance. In 1 John 5:13 John writes “These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.” Salvation is a gift, a gift cannot be earned. There is absolutely nothing you or I can do to earn our salvation. It is a gift that must be received by faith (Ephesians 2:8,9). The assurance of salvation, our feeling saved however is an entirely different matter.

When we are in a backslidden condition, part of the Lord’s discipline (Hebrews 12:6), is his withdrawal all the fullness of his Spirit. I am talking about the fullness here, not the full withdrawal of his Spirit. Indeed at salvation we were sealed by his Spirit when we believed (Ephesians 1:13). Scripture makes it clear that assurance, this witness that we are saved, only comes as we walk in his ways. We are not saved by works, but feeling saved, which is very different thing, comes as we walk in obedience (i.e 1 John 3:14; 2 Peter 1:10).

Lord Jesus I thank you so much for the assurance of salvation. Thank you that you told us “Amen, amen, I say to you, he who hears My Word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.” it is strong stuff Lord! When I think about it, when I encounter trials and tribulation then the very worst thing that can happen is that I die. But then I get to be with You forever and ever Hallelujah! Indeed there are times when I cry with Paul that although living life in the here and now is all about you, nevertheless to die is better (Philippians 1:21). I ask you this morning Lord, to help me make the most of what You have called me to. I want to hear on that day “Well done good and faithful servant the the joy of your lord” (Matthew 25:21). In your precious Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment