Sunday, April 1, 2018

Resurrection, fact or fiction?

For some, faith is believing seven impossible things before breakfast. The little boy’s definition of faith “believing something you know is not true.” In fact, if you can disprove the resurrection then you totally and absolutely demolish Christianity. But I do believe in the resurrection, so have I believed something that is impossible?

In Hebrews 11:1 we read “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” I am in a long conversation with an old friend of mine who says he does not believe because he doesn’t see the evidence for it. He is looking for scientific evidence, but to prove or disprove things of ancient history by science is not possible. And in three paragraphs, it is not possible to discuss all that needs to be discussed, for example what do we mean by proof, what do we mean by evidence etc. etc. But if God does exist, and the universe was created in an instant by a single word from Him, then nothing is impossible, and it takes faith of a different kind to rule out in advance of any discussion on the subject, the possibility the One who claimed to be God was resurrected from the dead.

The Scripture compares the work of the Spirit to a wind, and if the wind is strong enough there’s plenty of evidence that something has passed by. And in the circles that I moving I am seeing backs healed, a man who had Parkinson’s disease being restored before my very eyes, I am seeing broken lives put back together by their faith in Jesus Christ, I am experiencing healing in my own body, heart and mind, and I am at the place where at least for me, these many resurrections point clearly to the conclusion that I have not believed cunningly devised fables (2 Peter 1:16).

Father, thank You for the substance of faith, thank You for the evidence You show me daily of You the invisible God of love, peace, grace, joy and hope. Thank You Lord for what You have done for me, bringing me out of a desolate pit, establishing my steps, putting a song in my mouth, song of praise unto You, and thank You for your promise that many will see and fear and put their trust in You (Psalm 40:1-3). In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment