Thursday, July 12, 2018

And let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart

In the context of this quote from Galatians 6:9, Paul has been talking about the law of sowing and reaping. And it works both positively and negatively (verse 8). The agrarian (farming) analogy is meant to remind us of a number of things. For example, he is talking here about "due season.” in particular, reaping comes at the end of a process. First of all the ground has to be tilled, the seed sown, it has to be watered and even then there is first the blade, then the head, after that the full grain in the head (Mark 4:28). So the farmer has to be patient, and it would be silly to get frustrated at the time it takes to come to the reaping stage.

In this age of instant gratification, when there is a pill for every ail, patience does not manifest itself as one of the strong sense of our culture! And the Lord is reminding me again this morning, that I cannot expect instant growth from the seeds He plants in the lives of others through what He calls me to do. And I needed this reminder this morning, as three things, one on top of the other have come to my attention within the last 24 hours. And was I tempted to give up? Well I asked the Lord every morning for something that is relevant to my life, and perhaps it is sufficient to say that this morning’s verse is more than relevant!

Using the agrarian analogy again in 1 Corinthians 3:6, Paul says “ I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase.” And further to what the Lord was reminding me above, He is telling me that if I allow myself to get frustrated at the slowness and ups and downs of growth in others, then I am in danger of taking on responsibility that does not rightly belong to me (God gives the increase). So once again I resign my position as keeper of the universe!

Father, thank You for your patience with me, thank You that can be relied on to not give up on me, neither on those I love. I bring my disappointment and my frustration to You again this morning Lord. Thank You for Your consistent, steadfast love and mercy and Your encouragement to stand and having done all to stand. And I bless You again this morning Lord in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment