Sunday, July 29, 2018

The fruit of the Spirit (III) Peace

Into the pain, chaos and trauma of life Jesus offers “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you” (John 14:27). And as with love and joy, peace is given as a gift, but is also something we need to war over to keep. The basic principle is that is that God will not do for us, what we can do for ourselves. So often, in the pain chaos and trauma we are helpless, and at such points He invites us “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your soul. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30).

Note in this passage that we have a part to play. Well first of all we have to come to Him, but then in order to stay in rest, we need to take His yoke upon us, and we need to learn. I had experienced His rest and peace at the time of my conversion. It was very real, but I still had my old sinful appetites, and I was in danger of yielding to the temptation to go back to my old life. As I started to walk away it was if He was saying “You can go there Phil, but you cannot stay in rest and peace if you do.” And as I continued to walk away, the pain, chaos and trauma would start to return, and I would run back into His peace and rest being willing to do anything to stay there. I was learning to take His yoke upon me and to learn of Him!

And part of what I learnt is that when I am in danger of losing my peace, I usually work the passage in Philippians 4:4- 7. This starts with the command to rejoice and ends with the promise that the peace that passes all understanding will guard and keep my heart in Christ Jesus. By working the passage I mean that I may need to repent for not obeying the command to rejoice, or for not being thankful, or because of my prayerlessness (verse 6) and/or lack of trust. When things are particularly bad, I may need to work this passage several times in the process of riding my heart of the things that hinder.

Father, as I think about these things this morning, I am realizing once again that it's all about relationship with You. The point in asking me to take Your yoke upon me and to learn of You, is all about You, as a loving Father, having my very best interest at heart. If all else fails, read the instructions! Thank You for Your Word that instructs me and brings me closer day by day, to life in all its fullness. And I give You honour and glory and praise in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment