Saturday, July 21, 2018

You are my Lord, My goodness is nothing apart from You

As far as I can tell, the World is divided in two, those who think they are good, and those who know they are not. And perhaps a little over simplistically those who are not are also divided in two. Firstly there are those who beat themselves up (the vast majority), and then there are those who like David in this Psalm (16:2) know they are loved unconditionally by Almighty God, and because of this have a realistic view of themselves without being devastated by it.

I remember years ago having a debate about the possibility of someone making a truly selfless gesture. We came up with all sorts of scenarios for example, someone giving lots and lots of money to charity, or setting fire to themselves for a cause. But we all felt that we need to take motive into account. Jesus talked about those who do good deeds to be seen, already have their reward (Matthew 6:1ff). And “If we give our body to be burned, but have no love, in God’s eyes we are nothing but a noisy clanging cymbal (1 Corinthians 13:1,3).

I suspect that some will find this offensive, and perhaps I might have at one time, but at such times it is likely that I was getting my identity from what I did for the Lord. And thankfully I came to see that this was Christian workaholism! And I am convinced this morning, that any good that I do is first and foremost inspired by God, and so He receives the glory. But like Paul, in order to avoid false humility, I need to say “I, yet not I, but Christ who dwells in me” (Galatians 2:20). And I have learned to say “Thank you” when I receive a complement. And in accordance to this morning's verse, to give God the glory in my heart.

Father, I don’t pretend to fully understand this verse, but it somehow resonates with me this morning. I want to thank You Lord for my unconditional acceptance, and like a child beloved of his father, I am content to abide in Your presence as You continue the work of transforming me into Your likeness. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment