Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Jesus is THE Truth - the way the truth and life (III)

Pontius Pilate asked Jesus a question, but it wasn’t really a question, at least he expected no answer. He said “What is truth” (John 18:38), and then walked away. Like many today, Pilate felt that truth was unknowable. We hear “That may be true for you, but it is not true for me.” And certainly there are subjective truths i.e. “My favourite fruit is raspberries.” But there are also objective truths, either the God of the Bible exists, or He does not. It is illogical and unscientific, contradicting the law of non-contradiction, to suppose otherwise.

In yesterday’s prayer, I talked about the mystery and the foolishness (to the World) of faith. And Jesus statement here in John 14:6 not only qualifies for both mystery and the foolishness to the World, but it is also (to the World) offensive. And to further muddy the waters of mystery, we need to see that Jesus is the Word (John 1:14), and the Word is Truth (John 17:17) and as here (to complete the circle) Truth is Jesus.

I can’t help remembering the little boy’s statement that faith is believing what you know is not true! And I am so very aware this morning that all this is complete and utter nonsense to those who do not believe. But with Peter (John 6:68), I have learned not to easily dismiss what He says, and what I know is that when I take His Word into my heart and mind, then I am drinking in life both abundant and eternal. In particular, when I “eat” His Word I am, as in the Lord’s supper, eating and drinking Him. I am sounding very Catholic this morning mmm!

Lord Jesus I am humbled this morning as I come to You. I am remembering the verse “If anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know” (1 Corinthians 8:2). In particular what do I know? Well I do know that I want as a little child to be, and to stay, teachable by You Lord. I want to be as wise as a serpent, but as harmless as a dove, and I know that the way to get there is by following You, the way and the truth. And I do know (again with Peter) that notwithstanding how little I know, I am finding life and health and peace in You. As I keep jokingly saying “I think I will keep You.” It is of course You who keeps me! In Your precious Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment