Thursday, July 26, 2018

He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit

As a boy, I used to think that Jesus was so clever to be able to use things in nature to teach spiritual truths. Then later I discovered that He is far more clever than I though, because it struck me that He created the World in such a way that the physical would in fact be living parables of the spiritual. So in relation to this instruction to abide in John 15:5, I googled conditions for a tree to bear fruit. I learned that there are four things that are essential for plant growth light, water, temperature and nutrients. And I wanted to apply this to help us understand what it means to abide.

So first of all then we are told if we walk in the light as He is in the light we will have fellowship (abide) with one another and with Him (1 John 1:3,7). It’s about becoming holy as He is holy (1 Peter 1:6), and then letting our light manifest itself in doing good (Matthew 5:16). In terms of water, we are to be washed by the water of the Word (Ephesians 5:26). And in fact the Word teaches us about the light, it shows us when we are walking in darkness, it shows us how to get back into the light, and it shows us how to abide in the light (2 Timothy 3:16).

Newfoundland is not known for it’s hot summers, and I have not has a lot of success with my strawberry plants. Part of this is that there are too many trees in my garden (not enough light), but it can be cold here too. Jesus tells us that He would rather we were hot or cold, because when we are lukewarm He wants to spit us our of His mouth (Revelation 3:16). It is so inappropriate to be anything less than passionate for Him. Then lastly the nutrients. Well we are nourished in fellowship. Paul could say “We were gentle among you, as a nursing mother nourishing her children” (1 Thessalonians 2:7), and in fact Christ Himself nourishes and cherishes us, the church (Ephesians 5:29).

Father, more and more I see You everywhere, in nature and in each other. We are image bearers and even in the most corrupt, we remain bearers of that image. I want to see others Lord as You see them. In fact Paul states boldly “From now on, then, we do not know anyone from a worldly perspective” (2 Corinthians 5:16). So help us Lord, help me, and to see others as You see them, and You see us all as amazing in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment