Tuesday, July 24, 2018

When you pass through the waters they will not overwhelm you

Have you ever felt overwhelmed? I was feeling a tad this way this morning. And as usual I asked the Lord to give me something relevant to my life to share. There have been many occasions when the feeling of being overwhelmed was far greater than what I am feeling this morning, but, in the strange way of humanity, it is not always under the greatest trials or temptation that we fall. Still, however great or small the “overwhelm, ” I know what to do, and part of this is in fact what I am doing, as I journal my thoughts and feelings.

And “coincidentally” the Lord had recently brought the above quote from Isaiah 43:2 to my attention through a friend. In the context (verse 1) He says ““Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine.” It does not say that I will not feel overwhelmed, but what it does in the context is to remind me that He loves me; that I am His and that He always has my best interest at heart; that He is with me (see verses 2 and 4). So He is not adverse to my being stretched, but what He promises is that as I experiences what feels like fire and flood, I will come out the other end (go through), and when I put my trust in Him though it may get difficult, yet I will not be permanently scarred by the experience (“when you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you” verse 2).

And what enables me to do this, is coming back to the perspective that He personally called me, that He redeemed me for ever, and that I am His and He is mine (verse 1). And as I come back to this perspective, I remember other promises He has give me, promises that assure me He has provided the way of escape, and that with His help I can stand and having done all, to stand (1 Corinthians 10:13; Ephesians 6:13). They say that what does not kill you makes you stronger. And I want to say this morning, that I find this to be true when I hide myself in Him.

Father, it is not enough for me to know intellectually that You are with me. I need to know, feel and experience Your presence. Sometimes Lord the things that threaten to sink me feel so strong, and yes overwhelming. But Lord this morning I give these feelings to You, and I take all my concerns, and I cast them onto You, for You to sort out. Yes there are things You might need me to do, but I trust that You will show me the what, the when and the how in Your time. In the meantime Lord I choose to hide myself in You. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment