Sunday, January 13, 2019

Body, soul and spirit “trinity” Biblically holistic health (II)

Continuing our discussion from last day, I want talk about the interconnections between body health,soul health and health spirit health. We have already mentioned psychosomatic illnesses, illnesses of the soul that affect the body. But to invent a word, the Scripture teaches about pneumosomatic illnesses, meaning that sickness of spirit (pnuema) affect the body (soma). David’s speaking of his delay in confessing his sin says “When I kept silent about my sin, my bones wasted away” (Psalm 32:3). In a similar context, Paul hints that this is the reason that “many are weak and sick and some have even died” (1 Corinthians 11: 30). The Tyndale commentary on the Psalm suggests that these illnesses are results of the very tensions that are created in a Christian by his disobedience.

We might also say that the body “bone” is connected to the soul “bone.” Quite apart from my attempt to be humorous, it is well-known that brain chemistry radically affects personality which is surely part of the soul. But the Scripture speaks not just about the interconnectedness of illnesses in body soul and spirit, but also the interconnectedness of wholeness. Solomon tells us to “Fear the LORD and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones (Proverbs 3:7, 8). He also tells us, that we need to pay close attention to his words and to obey them, because they are “life to those who find them and health to one's whole body” (Proverbs 4:20, 22).

The Scripture also talks about “heart health.” It’s not talking about the physical organ, but in many ways is a reference to the soul (mind, will and emotions). We read “Guard your heart with all diligence, for out of it flow the issues of life” (Proverbs 4:23). That it needs gardening is clear, since “out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies” (Matthew 15:19). And diligence is surely needed, for our enemy is going about like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour (1 Peter 5:8). And he whispers lies into our hearts, and dangles temptations in front of our eyes. The default is to “let her slide by’!” In particular we must not dwell on thoughts of greed, or resentment or any negative thing. We must also keep short accounts with God so that “the bones which you have broken may rejoice” (Psalm 51:8).

Father, as I seek to fear You and depart from evil, I am standing on Your Word this morning that this will be “health for my flesh and strength for my bones.” And so Lord I am commanding my body to come into line with the Word of God, contenting for health in every part of my body and declaring that is is accomplished. I will not look at the circumstance Lord, but I will stand on Your faithfulness to me and to Your Word. You are not a may that You should lie, and what You say You will do, You will do. And so I give you honour and glory and praise again this morning Lord, as I wait in You for the fulfillment of it all in Jesus Name Amen

1 comment: