Wednesday, January 2, 2019

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind (I)

In this quote from 2 Timothy 1:7, Paul had just been reminding Timothy to stir up the gift gift of God given to him by the laying on of hands (verse 6). The word “For” that starts this quote clearly links the two verses together, and it is appropriate ask why stirring up the gift might produce fear. Well I suppose anyone who has tried to share the gospel in this climate of political correctness, would not need to be told. What I am saying is that our culture is hostile to anything Biblical, let alone to message of salvation. In many ways therefore it is natural to fear.

The second thing to say about this, is that fear is not of the Lord. It has been said that fear is faith in the kingdom of darkness. Therefore dwelling on your fear is actually quite dangerous. This is because “It shall be done to you according to your faith” (Matthew 9:29), and “What I feared has come upon me; what I dreaded has happened to me” (Job 3:25). Faith is powerful both positive and negative. This is why we are told over and over not to fear (i.e Psalm 55:7; Isaiah 7:4; 35:4; 41:10, 13; 43:1 etc.).

Easier said and done you might say! Well the good news, as our quote informs us, is that fear is a spirit, and being a spirit it can be cast out. We do this by literally speaking to the spirit of fear and telling it that is has no part in us. We need to realize that the spirit of fear does not have a legal right of residence in the believer. We need to declare that we do not receive it! We do need to replace it however with the opposite spirit. And we do this by choosing to trust in the Lord with all of our heart, to acknowledge Him in all our ways and to believe that He will direct our paths and make them straight (Proverb 3:5,6).

Father, thank You for Your rhama Word to me this morning. I am however aware that when You put something into my spirit and teach it, that I am likely to be tested on the very principle I am teaching. So I am praying this morning Lord that when the spirit of fear seeks to come upon me, that You will remind me of this Word You gave me, and to choose not to receive it. Thank You Lord that You are at work in me both to will and to do Your will in my life. In Jesus Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment