Monday, January 7, 2019

Part (VI) Sound mind (I) God has not given a spirit of fear, but of power, of love and of a sound mind

As with any gift, the gift of a sound mind has to be received. And if it is to be fully incorporated into our lives, it has to be sharpened and stirred up and nurtured. I want to talk about three aspects of a sound mind, a right or a renewed mind, a steadfast mind and a still mind. In a moment of clarity while feeding the pigs, the Scripture tells us that the Jewish prodigal son “came into himself” (Luke 15:17). The implication is that before that he was out of his right mind, and that he came back into it. Likewise the Gadarene demoniac when the demons were cast out, was then said to into his right mind (Luke 8:35). So in many ways the opposite of a sound mind is some stage of insanity!

It is clear, that the choices the prodigal son had made to live a lifestyle of pleasure, “prodigal living” as some translations have it, was what led to his not being in his right mind. Perhaps the most obvious example of people who are not in their right mind are those whose minds are messed up on drugs. But we can be messed up with bitterness, or agreed or in fact any addictive behaviour. The Scripture talks about suppressing the truth in unrighteousness (Romans 1:18). In particular, when we rationalize away the clear commandments of Scripture, it messes with our minds. What I am saying, is that receiving the gift of a sound mind is inextricably connected to living a life of righteousness.

We in the West live in a world of moral relativism. I mean adultery may be wrong for you, but is it right for me! I mean how can sex outside of marriage we wrong if we love each other and it feels so good? But this moral relativism is a perfect example of the suppression of truth in unrighteousness. Well the pleasures of sin are only for a season, and it messes up our minds, for it is only embracing the truth in an ongoing manner that we will progressively be set free Hebrews 11:25; John 8:31,32).” And the fact of the matter, is that we are moving further and further into insanity. There is however, a way to come back into our right minds. It is by being transformed by the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:2) through His Word, His truth (John 17:17). It does however require that we present our bodies as a living sacrifice. This Paul tells us, is the only reasonable response to the tender mercies of our God (Romans 12:1 NKJV).

Father, Your Word tells us that we have the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16). But as I have been saying this morning it is not automatic, it has to be appropriated. I want it Lord, I want clear and accurate thinking, and I want to embrace truth. So I ask you again this morning Lord, to search my heart to see if there be any wicked way within me, and to lead me in the way everlasting (Psalm 139:24). And I will give You all the honour and glory and praise in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment