Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Sound mind (III) stillness: God has given a spirit of power, of love and a sound mind part (VIII)

A sound mind is a renewed mind, is a steadfast mind and this morning I want to talk about it being a still mind. A still mind is so, so counter-cultural. It seems to me that there is an almost a frantic desperation to fill our silences with noise. We seem to be afraid of the emptiness of silence, and our minds race to be fill with a whole host of things, be it technology, or entertainment, or activity etc., etc. In the midst of this, the Lord calls to us to “be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10). In fact stillness of mind is part of steadfastness of mind, and together they yield the fruit of perfect peace (Isaiah 26:3 from yesterday).

Fortunately, as with all that we have been discussing, it’s not all up to us. We read that after we have suffered a little while, the God of all grace will perfect, establish, strengthen and settle us (1 Peter 5:10 KJV). In case you haven’t noticed, suffering seems to be an unavoidable part of our lot. Whether God sends, or simply allows suffering is hotly debated! But it’s what is beyond dispute, is that He uses our suffering for our benefit (i.e. Romans 8:28). On top of this, He never calls us to endure what He has not Himself endured, only more so (i.e. Hebrews 12:4). Our part in all of this, and we always have a part to play, is to choose by His grace, to respond to suffering the way that Jesus responded (i.e. Hebrews 5:8).

Jesus of course, would have known the Scripture “In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength” (Isaiah 30:15). That Jesus put the conditions of this Scripture into practice was very clear to Peter. For having closely observed Jesus under pressure, he tell us that “When they heaped abuse on Him, He did not retaliate; when He suffered, He made no threats, but entrusted Himself to Him who judges justly” (1 Peter 2:23). I don’t know about you, but I want to be like Jesus. And I don’t know about you in this either, but I have a ways to go!

Father, help me to play my part in doing what I need to do in being still and knowing that You are God. Thank You Lord that Your help is so readily available, and that half the time all You require of me is to submit and to obey. Thank You Lord that You have promised to quiet me with Your love, and thank You Lord that You rejoice over me with singing, and in fact over all who choose You (Zephaniah 3:17). There is no one like You Lord, no one comes even close. And I worship You again this morning Jesus, in Your holy, and lovely and precious Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment