Tuesday, April 16, 2019

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, the glory of kings to search it out (II)

When my grandson was very young, and I had just bought a house , I took him to see it. I had not yet moved in, and there was not a stick of furniture in the place. “Grandpa,” he said “let’s play hide go seek. You hide, and I’ll come and find you.” So I went into the furthest room and hid in the closet. There was literally nowhere else to hide. “Coming Grandpa, are you in this room?” ‘No!’ He goes into another room. “Are you in this room Grandpa?” Eventually he comes into the empty room when I was hiding. “Are you in this room Grandpa?” ‘Yes!’ He comes to the closet, opens the door and there I am! “I found you Grandpa!” The joy on his a little face is a picture I still remember.

What is it about hide- go-seek seems to fascinate all children? I think it’s two things, it’s the joy of discovery, and the joy of being discovered. With my grandson I wasn’t hiding from him, I was hiding for him. And God does that for us too! There is something perverse about human relationships, if somebody throws themselves at you, you don’t want them! It is somehow too easy, and for some reason it feels worthless. I have heard people ask why is it seems so hard to find God. Well, God intends for us to seek Him and perhaps reach out for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us (Acts 17:27). And He has promised that “You will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.”

Note, though we need to love Him with all of our mind, it is only when we search for Him with all of our heart that we find Him. The context of the quotation from Acts, tells us that He determines the circumstances of our lives in order that we might seek Him. In fact he has left His stamp all over life and creation (Romans 1:20). But He doesn’t want limp lovers (Revelation 3:16). My grandson sought me (age appropriately) with everything he had. And the joy of his discovery thrilled both of our hearts. It’s like this with God too. In fact “There will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents, than over ninety-nine righteous persons” (Luke 15:10). There is also joy in being "discovered" by God! He has made us both to know, and to be known.

Father, though we may struggle and struggle to find You at times, the truth of the matter is, that that You are searching for us, drawing us to Yourself, speaking to us day after day, night after night (Psalm 19:1-4). You have put eternity in our hearts Lord (Ecclesiastes 3:11), and only You can satisfy the deep hunger of our hearts. Open our eyes to see this Lord, and to see the multitude of ways You speak to us everyday. Show us how to love You with all of our heart, mind , soul and strength, and energize us to do it, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment