Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Wounded healers

Time after time in the Scriptures we read that Jesus moved with compassion healed or did some other good work. Compassion not only moves us to action, but it moves us to to do so authentically. Most of us can sense when something is done out of obligation or fear. And actions done that way somehow seem to loose their impact, or at least diminish it. Paul tells us of the emptiness that comes of life lived without love. If I have not love, I am nothing. Things done without love profit me nothing (1 Corinthians 13:1-3). And here is a strange phenomenon, those who have not suffered in life tend to lack compassion. Of course suffering can turn us bitter and resentful, but for me suffering was the crossroads that lead me to the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort (2 Corinthians 1:3).

Job’s counselors did well until they opened their mouths. At first, they simply sat with him in his pain (Job 2:11-13). When they opened their mouths however, often attributing Job’s suffering to some unknown sin, their “help” added misunderstanding to his suffering! Job declares “You are worthless physicians, all of you!” When we have suffered however, we can usually feel at least something of what the other person is going through. And, especially if we have received comfort and healing, we are likely to have compassion for those who have been where we have been. And sometimes the only way we can keep our healing, is to give it away. In any case Jesus tells us “Freely you have received, freely give” (Matthew 10:8).

Apparently the term Wounded healer was created by psychologist Carl Jung. The idea was that analysts were somehow compelled to treat patients because the analyst himself is wounded. This seems to be true in a much broader sense as I have been explaining. Perhaps another way to say this, is to say that in order to become healers we ourselves seem to need to be wounded in some way. In the end however, it is the Lord who heals (Exodus 15:26), but he uses doctors, nurses, the average Christian etc., as His instruments, His midwives if you like. And of course Jesus Himself is the ultimate wounded healer. It is by His stripes that we are healed (Isaiah 53:5).

Father, I remember well a time when I felt so wounded I could not pray, I could not read my Bible. But You were faithful, You never left me nor forsook me, and over and over you brought people to me to speak a word in season, and to give encouragement. Most of all Lord Jesus, You the supreme wounded Healer came to me, and bit by bit comforted and strengthened me. Use me Lord now for Your glory to comfort and strengthen others with the comfort and strength You have given me (2 Corinthians 1:3,4). In Your precious Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment