Monday, April 29, 2019

Let go and let God (III) Waiting on God

When God has give you a promise such as “All your children will be taught of the Lord, and great will be your children’s peace” (Isaiah 54:13), it could be a while before you see the promise fulfilled. Letting go, and letting God often involves waiting on God. We need to remember that our children are loaned to us, for us to nurture for a season. They are not our possession, they belong to the Lord not us! When they are little is the time to teach, nurture and discipline when necessary. When they grow up one of the best things we can do is shut our mouths. It’s not just with our children of course. I have a friend who, when she was first saved talked incessantly about the Lord before her husband. One day in anger, and completely out of character, he banged his fist on the table and declared “Don’t you ever mention God again in this house.”

My friend fled to her bedroom and told the Lord “Now You are going to have to do it all on Your own!” She had let go, but now she needed to wait on the Lord. Bob Sorge has described the period between the promise and its fulfillment as a fire. In other words it can be very difficult. When we need to wait on the Lord, it is helpful to remind ourselves on whom it is that we wait. He is the One who spoke, and a hundred billion galaxies were formed. Yet His eye is on the sparrow. He knows the number of hairs on your head and mine. He cares for us, and we can cast all our cares on Him (1 Peter 5:7). When the delay is long, we need to remember that He is not slack concerning His promises (2 Peter 3:9), and that He always has purpose in the delays. Sometimes He waits to be gracious (Isaiah 30:18). Sometimes He wants to strengthen our heart, renew our strength and set our feet on the Rock (Psalm 27:14; Isaiah 40:31; Psalm 40:2). For me the greatest benefit of the many years of long and ongoing delay of my promise, is the intimacy He has fostered between us.

It’s not that I never get discouraged or want to give up. But as I stick close to Him He always does something to help me continue to wait. My greatest help comes through His Word, His promises, for example He watches over His Word to perform it (Jeremiah 1:12). Some people use cards to write their promises and periodically bring them out to remind them. For me, I have many of the appropriate scriptures memorized, so I can bring them out anywhere, anytime. I also have a file on the computer of many of the Scriptures and promises that He has underlined for me over the years, and that I go to again and again especially in times of discouragement.

Father, they say that the darkest time of night is just before dawn. And this thought has helped me to continue many times. In the darkness I cling to Your Word that You are not a man that You should lie. I would have lost heart many times Father, unless I had believed that I would see Your goodness in the here and now (Psalm 27:13). You have told me that when I ask according to Your will You hear, and I understand that what I am praying is “Kingdom of God come, Will of God be done” in the here and now in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment