Thursday, April 11, 2019

See, I have given you authority over all the power of the enemy (II) Accusation

Satan, the accuser of the brethren (Revelation 12:10), is at work day and night seeking to pour condemnation into our hearts. He is a liar, and we have been given authority over him (Luke 10:19). And when we are feeling condemned, we need recognize this as his lies, and to exercise our authority in this area! I was speaking to sister in the Lord last one time who was stinging from accusations that came through another sister in the Lord. I told her a joke about a woman who had received an obscene telephone call, and was complaining that it had gone for almost half an hour! The point of course, is that she could’ve hung up the moment the nature of the call became clear. So the question is “When we are being accused and condemned, why do we listen, why don’t we simply do the equivalent of hanging up?”

It’s important to distinguish condemnation that so often follows accusation, from Holy Spirit conviction of sin. Conviction of sin comes in gentleness, and is intended to produce a godly sorrow that leads to a repentance and which leaves no regret (2 Corinthians 7:10). The condemnation we are speaking of here, is the debilitating feeling of alienation, separation, hopelessness and worthlessness. Such condemnation ultimately comes from the evil one, but as with my friend, it can come through others, even Christians! It’s important at such times to recognize that the real enemy is not our friend. It is the spiritually wicked powers in high places, the Devil and his emissaries (Ephesians 6:12). And, to say it again, we need to take authority over these things. So how do we do that?

Well for a start, the Scripture tells us that if we submit to God and resist the devil he will flee from us (James 4:7). A friend tells me, that when the devil reminds in him of his past, he likes to remind him of his future. But I don’t like to enter too much into conversation with him. Jesus gives us the example of using Scripture, and I can counsel myself through the truths of the Word of God. In particular, since I am in Christ Jesus, I can tell myself that God does not condemn me, because “there is now therefore no condemnation” (Romans 8:1). When I am being reminded of past sins that were long since confessed and repented of, I can remind myself that He is the one who blots out my transgressions, and chooses to remember my sins and iniquities no more (Isaiah 43:25).

Father, because of the incredible work of Jesus on the cross, You are able to be just and the justifier of those of us who believe in You. And in this same vein, You are also able to give us unconditional regard. And You call us to see ourselves and others in this very same light (2 Corinthians 5:16). So I ask you again this morning Lord for myself, and for all those reading these posts, that You will enable these truths to sink deep into our hearts as we rehearse and practice taking the authority over the evil One in this way. And we will give You the honour and glory and praise in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment