Friday, July 12, 2019

If anyone is overtaken in a fault you who are spiritual …. restore


The philosophy of live and let live sounds fine, until somebody else’s rights clash with yours. My right to a good night’s sleep might just clash with your right to play loud music  at 3:00 am! This morning’s scripture is relevant to all this “If anyone is overtaken in a fault, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted” (Galatians 6:1). This morning I want us to look at the who, what, when,  why and how of this admonition. In fact there are two “who”s, the one who is overtaken, and the one who is spiritual. Other translations of “overtaken” in this verse include trapped, caught and overcome. So we are not talking here about small thing here that might irritate you. We are talking about someone who is trapped in their sin (John 8:34), and in need of restoration for their own sake (see verse 7).
The other who is “you who are spiritual,” and in context, those who have crucified the flesh, who are walking in the Spirit (Galatians 5:24, 25), and who are in the habit of “looking to themselves” (see Psalm 139:23). We will of course never be perfect, and we should not use false humility as an excuse to not obey this admonition. As to the what, it is restoration. In particular, it is not about “giving him a piece of my mind.” Restoration is always the goal, even if it is not always possible (see Romans 12:18). And since this is the goal, then the how is vitally important, and it must be “in the spirit of gentleness; looking to yourself.” Gentleness of course is part of the fruit of the Spirit (Chapter 5:23),  so when we are looking to ourselves we need to ask, for example, if we are being longsuffering, loving and patient!
This leaves the when and the why. One of the questions I like to ask myself when I think the Lord may be leading me to go to my brother or sister, is do I want to do this? If the answer is yes, I may not be ready to go. So if I want to do it because I am really bugged by it, I am likely not yet ready to go in gentleness and humility. On the other hand if I want to go because I see how trapped and difficult it is for them, then I am likely ready. And some of this, is that part of being spiritual is knowing ourselves, knowing what we are feeling, knowing if we have “looked to ourselves” sufficiently, and knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that the why of going, is ultimately reconciliation and restoration. And part if this, in light of last day’s post, it to make sure we are not judging.
Father, since Your primary purpose in sending Jesus is reconciliation and restoration (Ephesians 1:9,10), then before we go we do indeed need to examine ourselves to make sure our motives are pure,  and that we really can go in gentleness and humility.  In this way we represent who You truly are. Help us to  know ourselves Lord as You know us, and help us not to let false humility prevent us going when You call us to. And Lord we need Your courage many times, and so I ask for these things this morning in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment