Monday, July 22, 2019

to you who hear, more will be given


In the context of this partial quote from Mark 4:25,  Jesus has used the curious phrase “If any one has ears to hear, let him hear” (verse 23). And how shall we hear? Well literally “with the measure you measure, it will be measured to you” (verse 24).   But what does it mean to measure what you hear? It’s hard to translate, but the context makes is clear that hearing, understanding and turning from sin are closely linked (see verse 12). In a slightly different context Jesus tells us “Everyone who hears these Words of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand” (Matthew 7:26). To say it another way, hearing, turning and obeying are closely linked in Biblical thought. Indeed to the extent to which we obey (measure) is the extent (measure) to which we are hearing Biblically. And in particular to you who hear (and so obey), more will be given.

The converse is also true “but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him” (Mark 4:25b). Paul puts it in a slightly different way, and talks about how we suppress truth in unrighteousness (Romans 1:18). If you have ever wondered how the Nazi guards after a particularly busy week exterminating Jews,  could then go to mass on Sunday and come out with a clear conscience, you have the explanation,  they had to have suppressed the truth (rationalized the lie) by the doing of the deeds. They are nevertheless without excuse (verse 20 of Romans 1). And do you think that you and I have escaped all this? You may respond “Well Phil my conscience is clear.” So was Paul’s, in fact he tells us “I know nothing against myself, but I am not justified for that, it is God who judges me” (1 Corinthians 4:4). The point is that very likely you and I do not know what we have suppressed, what we have rationalized. The heart is deceitful and desperately wicked (Jeremiah 17:9) and the heart wants what the heart wants.

And we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ, and in that day all will be revealed. I want to hear “Well done good and faithful servant enter into the joy of the Lord.” Yes,  I will be saved, but I don’t want to  “saved only through fire” (2 Corinthians 5:10; Matthew 25:21; 1 Corinthians 3:13, 15). So how do we make sure we are not in  denial,  and what should we do"   Hebrews 4:12 tells us the Word of God is living and powerful and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. So How shall we then live, and what manner of life we aught to live (2 Peter 3:11)? Well do you have ears? Then hear. And how should we hear? Well again “with the measure you measure, it will be measured to you,” and “to you who hear, more will be given.”

Father, forgive us for the times we have taken a casual approach to our faith. If Paul would not rest on his laurels, neither should I  (1 Corinthians 10:12). And so Lord search my heart again this morning,  and see if there be any wicked way in me. Show me from Your Word Lord, and restore the joy of my salvation. Renew by passion again this morning Lord help me to love You with all my heart, mind, soul and strength in Jesus Name Amen






No comments:

Post a Comment