Monday, January 27, 2020

And I will harden Pharaoh’s heart

God was sending Moses to Pharaoh telling him to “let my people go.” And here God was telling Moses that He would harden Pharaoh's heart to refuse (Exodus 7:3). He would eventually of course, after the final plague that killed all the firstborn of Egypt. But even then Pharaoh would change his mind (14:8). Hardening of the heart is often about choosing not to be compassionate or merciful, choosing to act in my own best interest, rather than responding to the needs of others. In Pharaoh's case it was about refusing to let the children of Israel go in spite of the miraculous signs that showed him that God is God.

It hardly seems faith that God would harden Pharaoh's heart, and then punish him for acting in accordance with it. But it's important to notice the sequence:- “When Pharaoh saw that there was relief, he hardened his heart and did not heed them” (8:15); and “But Pharaoh hardened his heart at this time also; neither would he let the people go” (8:32). The Lord had demonstrated that He is God with what has become known as the plagues of Egypt. And at first Pharaoh had humbled himself in compliance, and Pharaoh's hardening his heart was after miraculous demonstrations of God's power. And it is only after this, that God hardened Pharaoh's heart (9:12). I am reminded of Jesus words “Woe to you, Chorazin, ... Bethsaida! For if the mighty works which were done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes” (Matthew 11:21).

Jesus had indeed done mighty works in Chorazin, ... Bethsaida (i.e Mark 8:22ff). I have heard people say that if there were miracles today, then they would believe. I have often replied “There's testimony after testimony of miracles today, but you don't believe them.” Indeed Jesus said words to the effect that if you don't believe Moses and the prophets, neither will you believe even if one is raised from the dead (Luke 16:31). Unbelief and hardening of the heart come because we suppress the truth in unrighteousness (Romans 1:18). If I want to commit adultery and God says it's wrong, either my adultery will go, or I will harden my heart in unbelief. As to thinking it unfair Paul asks “Who are you O man to answer against God? ....What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction” (Romans 9:20, 22). Likewise His mercy “prepared beforehand for glory” (verse 23).

Father, Paul asks “Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, 'Why have you made me like this?'” This morning's verse seems so out of tune with the spirit of the age that is all about me, my wants, my rights, my entitlement! This thing called free will is precious Lord, but it is also very dangerous. We can choose to shake out fists in the face of the One who has all power and authority. And like Pharaoh when we persistently choose against You, You will give us our way. I am grateful Lord for Your longsuffering towards me, for it took much pain, the huge consequences of my sin before I was willing to bow my knee. And I want to thank You Lord this morning, for Your persistence in continuing to call until I came, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment