Thursday, January 23, 2020

Do not fear to go down to Egypt

Jacob and his extended family were on their way down to Joseph in Egypt.  He had stopped at Beersheba, and “offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac.” The Lord spoke to him in the night,  identifying Himself as “God, the God of your father Isaac." In addition to telling him not to fear to go down to Egypt, He promised “I will make of you a great nation there. I will go down with you to Egypt, and I will also surely bring you up again; and Joseph will put his hand on your eyes” (Genesis 46:1-4). Jacob, like most of us when we have concerns turns to God. The nature of his concerns are revealed by the assurances that God gives to him. God is the God of all comfort (2 Corinthians 1:3), and it is is nature to comfort when, like Jacob did, we turn to Him. The phrase “God, the God of your father Isaac” is interesting. There is but one God (Isaiah 45:5), but this was something that in the polytheism that surrounded Israel, the Lord would need to emphasize over and over. Here the Lord is saying I am the very one who revealed Himself to, and was faithful to, Your father Isaac (see “I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed” Malachi 3:6).

The Lord had told Rebekah, Jacob's mother,  that “the elder will serve the younger” (25:23),  indicating that the promise to Abraham that he would be a great nation,  would come through Jacob the younger of the two brothers. So the next things God does is to confirm that promise. Going down to Egypt would not change anything! Next God essentially reminds him of an earlier promise “ “Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have spoken to you” (28:15). As seen in 47:29-31, Jacob was also concerned that he would be buried with “the fathers,” and God's next promise would be fulfilled though Joseph and his brothers taking his bones back there (50:12-14). Finally “Joseph will close your eyes” is a euphemism for Joseph being there when he (Jacob) would die. So not only would Jacob see his son after all those years, he would be with him until his death. 

One of my favourite methods of bible study is to ask three questions, what does it say, what does it mean and how does it apply. So having done the first two above,  I ask the third "What is it that concerns me, and for you what is it that concerns you today?" There is a chorus that comes to mind “He is able more than able to accomplish what concerns me to day. He is able more than able to do much more than I could ever dream ...” Indeed “He is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us” (Ephesians 3:20).

Father, thank You for Your amazing faithfulness and Your amazing promises. Thank You for encouraging me this morning by reminding me of Your individual promises to me,  and that when I do my part You will not only do Yours, but You will do it abundantly. And I praise and worship You Father in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment