Thursday, January 9, 2020

Blessed are those (V) who hunger and thirst for righteousness ....

For they shall be filled (Matthew 5:6).  I remember first being attracted to righteousness by someone who simply refused,  on principle,  not to engage in dubious behaviour.  I did not know the Lord at that time, and I was beginning to experience the truth that “he who sins, is the slave of sin” (John 8:34).  And the Lord was calling to me through the witness of that man.  But we can get this wrong in other ways, turning righteousness into a bunch of rules. The Pharisees did that,  and Jesus tells us that unless our righteousness exceeds that of the Pharisees we will not enter the Kingdom of heaven (Matthew 5:20). verse 20).

Part of the problem, is that if we think we have kept all of the rules, then we can look down on others who don't keep them like we do. It's called judging, and that is very dangerous. The point is that all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God, and in many things we all fail. Not only this with the measure we judge, we too will be judged (Romans 3:23; James 3:2; Matthew 7:1).  Paul before his conversion was doing this. In his pre-conversion state he could say concerning the Law that he was blameless. He goes on the say that this side of salvation he counted all things as rubbish in order that he might  gain Christ and be found in Him, not having his own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith (Philippians 3:8, 9).

The motivation is key here. Am I doing my righteous acts to be seen of men? If so I have already reward my reward (Matthew 6:1).  Am I doing it to please others? This can be a form of codependence and people pleasing. Or am I doing it to please the Lord? Do I hunger and thirst for righteousness because it pleases Him? Am I one who loves His appearing, because when I see Him I will be like Him because I will see Him just as He is (2 Timothy 4:8; 1 John 3:2).  So where does this motivation come from? It comes from gratitude that I have been rescued from the slave market of sin. True righteousness is always preceded by redemption, and when this is my motivation,  there is no doubt I will be filled.

Father, thank You that Your ways are best. Draw us close to You Lord,  and purify us as gold and precious silver,  so that You may see Your reflection in us in Jesus Name Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment