Sunday, March 18, 2018

Grace builders are everywhere

As a young Christian I committed to memory the following verse given here in Philip’s translation (mine) from 1 Corinthians 10:13. There is no trial that you will encounter that others have not also encountered. But God is faithful and will not allow you to be tested above your ability to endure, but will in the midst of the trial provide the means by which you will be able to stand up under it.

The first thing to notice here, is that God is in control in what He allows (see also Job chapter 1). He has a purpose in allowing what He allows, and ultimately that is to make us more like Jesus, and thus to be more fruitful in Him (Romans 8:29). One of the more common ways that He does this, is to allow annoying people into our lives. There is a particular kind of Englishman that really gets under my skin. I was thrown together with such a man in seminary years ago. In midst of my ongoing irritation with him, he said to me one day “You know when I don’t remember somebody’s name, I call them brother, brother.” Rightly or wrongly I received this as his way of saying "I don't remember your name, and I have no intention of trying to remember it!"

I call such people “grace builders.” These are the people God allows in our lives in order to build grace (His power to overcome) in us. In particular in such circumstances, the way of escape that God in His faithfulness provides, is for us to throw ourselves on Him. The point is that when we do so, His promise kicks in to give us grace to help in time of need (Hebrews 4:16). There are many things I cannot do without His help, loving my enemies for one, or dealing graciously with my grace builders! But I have also come to realize, that I am a grace builder in the lives of those He sends to build grace in me!

Father, there seems to be an unusual number of grace builds in my life at this point in time. In a way I’m encouraged, it means I am growing because I know there was a time this would have swamped me, grace or no grace! I thank you Lord that one of Your primary goals is to make me more like the Lord Jesus. And I so want to cooperate with You in this, so that my life may bring honour and glory and praise to Your lovely Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment