Monday, March 19, 2018

The heart is deceitful above all and desperately wicked (Jeremiah 17:9)

Let me start by saying that there is absolutely no self-righteousness in me in this post. In fact close to a half century ago, at the breakup of my first marriage, being fully convinced that she was 100% responsible for what went wrong, I had murder in my heart. This self righteous 100% blaming it is apparently very common. The scary thing for me, is that I’m not at all sure that if I thought I could've gotten away with it, that I would not have gone through with it. So when the Holy Spirit convicted me of sin and righteousness and judgement (John 16:8) I was devastated, and I threw myself on the Lord’s mercy (see also the prayer at the end of the post). Please feel free to share this post (or not).

I was blind to my side of the equation, and had jaundiced eyes for the other side. This also is very common. Bernard Nathanson, M.D., practising in the mid-to late 20th-century, was a product of his “enlightened age,” and became a leader in the Pro-Choice ranks. Nathanson was responsible for some 75,000 abortions. But with the advent of fetology and the then newest EKG and ultrasound imagery he could see what he was doing. And what he saw was the silent scream of the unborn as he was tearing children with fully functioning nervous systems apart, limb from limb, crushing their heads etc., etc., and all this without anesthetic. Not that anesthetic would have made it right! Because of what he saw, he changed his beliefs and his ways -- and sides. He produced a video we all should see “The silent scream.” It can be seen on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gON-8PP6zgQ). Actually we need an update!

Nathanson saw as I did, his ability to call evil good, and good evil (Isaiah 5:20). Here in Canada, in order to qualify for Summer funding for students you have to agree with the government position on abortion which allows abortion up to and including the day before birth. It is hard for me to describe what I feel about about this evil and the blindness of it all! Jordan Peterson, a man who is on the left but who is rapidly becoming a hero of mine, says in effect that if you don’t know that you are capable of the most heinous and dastardly crime, then you know nothing about yourself! Sadly I find that many Christians, who should know better, are in this camp!

Father, I thank You that there nothing we have done that is outside of Your mercy and forgiveness. I have seen Lord, that there is such a need for people to be able to mourn for what they have done, and for what they and I are capable of. One of the beautiful things about the word image of the new birth, is that in Your eyes we can start over brand-new! Thank You for forgiveness, thank You for healing, thank You that when we turn to You in repentance, You take our sins and cast them into the deepest sea (Micah 7:19) and post a “no fishing” notice. I thank You Lord, that Jesus bore my guilt at incredible cost on the cross, and now I bear it no more. Hallelujah Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment