Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Iron sharpens iron revisited

Jordan Peterson, in his defence of free speech which is under heavy attack from the extreme left, tells why we need it, by describing a typical conversation with a dear friend. He says “When you talk it doesn't mean you are right. It means you are trying to articulate and formulate your thoughts like the boneheaded moron that you are. And you are going to stumble around idiotically because what do you know? You are full of biases and ignorance and you can't speak very well, and you're overemotional, and you know you just got problems that you can hardly imagine that are interfering with your ability to state something clearly.

Peterson (who by the way he describes himself as centre-left) does not add as he might, that this process is also hindered by pride, stubbornness, self righteousness and the absolute certainty you are right and your friend is wrong. And it’s worth remarking I think, that this scenario is only likely to take place within your own little bubble of relatively like-minded people! Now it’s very easy for me to see all this in you, in fact I can see this in the whole of the rest of the world. And of course they don’t see it! And when I looked at me, the default is for me is to not see it either! But many years ago I learned to ask myself in this and similar scenarios “What is the probability of me being the only one without these faults?” I answer “Zero,” I mean it, I do! Denial is strong in all of us!

Peterson goes on to say “And so what you do is to do your best to say what you mean, then you listen, other people tell you why you're a blithering idiot and hopefully you can correct yourself to some degree as a consequence of listening to them.” When this process works, it is describing Proverbs 27:17 which says “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” The problem is that we tend to not have very good listening skills, since we are quick to speak and slow to hear (James 1:19). In fact I blew it already this morning and it's only 9:00! And this does not even take into account our (my) propensity to anger.

Father, I want to thank You this morning that You are slow to wrath. Thank You that You are a lot more gentle than Peterson! This stuff is hard to hear! Thank You for your patience and long-suffering with me, and for reminding me of this again this morning. Lord as Your ambassador I want to be patient and long-suffering with others. This is part of the fruit of your Spirit, and is only produced in me, as I centre myself in You day by day. I certainly have not arrived, but I thank You for Your promise that You who have begun a good work in me will bring it to fullness (Philippians 1: 6) in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment