Friday, March 30, 2018

Why is it called “Good” Friday?

I tend to forget that those outside of my own little bubble do not know what I have taken for granted for many, many years. I don’t even know why I asked the person the above question the other day, but the occasion was that this week it was TG IT rather than TGIF (thank you Lord it’s Thursday :) ).

She was puzzled. “How can it be good when Jesus was crucified on that day, it doesn’t make sense?” So I was able to share the good news that Jesus died for my sins, and that when I put my trust in Him there is no longer any condemnation (Romans 8:1), and I bear the guilt of my sin and shame no more.

But I do need to put my trust in Him. Jesus first recorded words in Mark are “repent ([have a change of mind which issues in regret for past sins and in change of conduct for the better) and believe (trust in, rely on, and adhere to) the good news (the Gospel)” ( Mark 1:15 AMP). This is how I receive his forgiveness and eternal life. There is no forgiveness, if I reject forgiveness! Scary!

Father, thank You that You loved us so much that You sent Your beloved Son Jesus so that You could be just and the justifier of those of us who put our faith in You (Romans 3:26), and You could begin the long process of changing us and making us fit to spend eternity with You. It is so scary to me father that You will grant the wish of those who wish nothing to do with You, the fountain of all goodness. Help me to live a life father that shows that You are real. Your word tells me that I am a fragrance of life unto those who are being saved, but a fragrance of death unto those who are perishing. And I am so insufficient for these things (2 Corinthians 2:16). Have mercy on us Lord, in Jesus Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment