Sunday, January 21, 2018

Except a seed die it abides alone (John 12:24)

There are many things that can trip us up in life, things we cling to that actually sabotage the fullness of life we are promised. Demanding our (perceived) rights when it’s not going to happen is one of them, but the thing that’s on my heart this morning, is the myth that we are in control of our reputation.

Being slandered, misunderstood and falsely accused is no fun, and in the past when this sort of thing happened, it would put me into a tailspin of obsessive thinking. You know, where thoughts of the injustice of it all or worse, go around and round and round in your head! And in this, as with many other things, I had to learn the hard way that I needed to let go, and let God deal with it. In particular, I had to die to the myth that my reputation was in my hands.

In fact this was just one aspect of many things that had to die within me, that led to a crisis. And these moments of crisis are Crossroads. As Einstein once said “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over in expecting a different outcome.” And freedom came as I sought to follow my Lord who made himself of no reputation (Philippians 2:7), who was despised and rejected of men (Isaiah 53:3) and whose response was to commit Himself to Him who judges righteously (1 Peter 2:23).

Father, it’s not that I don’t care about what other people think of me anymore, but part of the process of being rooted and grounded in Your love, is to learn to care more about what You think about me, than what others think about me. And You think I’m terrific, because You see me in Christ. And each time it happens, and I choose to commit myself to You, then more and more the need for approval from others dies, and out of that death comes Your resurrection life. I praise you this morning Lord because Your ways are higher than my ways, and Your ways bring freedom in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment