Monday, January 15, 2018

The Pharisee in me needs to die

It’s not that long ago, that the Lord convicted me of judging those who judge! You know those blankety blank judgemental people! But whenever we separate ourselves from others by behaviour, we are essentially becoming like the Pharisee who prayed “I thank God that I am not like other men, even this miserable tax collector…” (Luke 18:11). Think about it, what I was essentially saying was “Thank you Lord, that I am not like others who judge!” The Scripture tells me not to judge, because those who judge do the very same thing (Romans 2:1). Ouch!

The Scripture also tells us, that when we compare ourselves with ourselves, we are unwise (2 Corinthians 10:12). Part of this is our propensity to maximize the other person’s faults, and to minimize our own. And in this way come out smelling like roses! For this and other reasons, I am convinced, that the Pharisee is alive and well and living in each one of us. And it’s not enough just to stop doing it, these thoughts, attitudes and our expressions of the same, need to die!

The necessary repentance we make in the process of becoming a Christian, essentially gives the Lord permission to start the process of changing us. And we do need to be changed! There can be no Pharisees in heaven, no judgementalism, no rejection etc. etc. and since God will not violate our self will, we need to give Him permission to start this process of change in us. Otherwise we exclude ourselves from His kingdom, and by staying in denial are, by default, choosing to spend eternity with the other fellow! And the truth is, there is no middle ground!

Father, how well You know us, and how little we know ourselves. Thank You Lord that You have not finished with me yet, and that ultimately I will be like You. Hallelujah! In the meantime please continue to put to death the deeds, desires and attitudes that are displeasing to You (Romans 8:13; Galatians 5:24). Lord it is my fervent desire that my life be a living testimony to Your transforming power. Teach me Lord, to be sensitive to the early promptings of Your Holy Spirit, and I will give You all the honour, all the glory and all the praise in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment