Wednesday, January 24, 2018

‘Tis mystery all the immortal dies

While simultaneously recalling a conversation last night and asking the Lord where He wanted me to go this morning, the above line from an ancient hymn came to mind. And with it came two seemingly contradictory verses. The first talks about ever learning but never arriving at a knowledge of the truth (2 Timothy 3:7). The second admonishes that he who thinks he knows something, needs to admit that he knows nothing yet as he ought to know (1 Corinthians 8:2).

What I see, is that the gospel is simple enough that even a child can understand it. Jesus died in my place, so that a holy God can let me into His heaven, and as I trust Him, to give me the abundant life in the here and now. At the same time that same gospel is deep enough to drowned an elephant in, and we will spend eternity fathoming it’s depth!

Our problem, is our tendency to think that because we understand something, we understand everything. It’s part of the Western overemphasis on the rational. I see it over and over in discipline after discipline. I see it in science, philosophy in many other disciplines including theology. And when we allow this overemphasis, what we have essentially done is to throw out mystery. When we do this, it inevitably leads us to give pat and shallow answers to complex questions.

Father, it never ceases to amaze and delight me, that there is so very very much to learn from others. Thank you Lord that You have provided Your Spirit and Your Word to keep me from gross errors (2 Timothy 2:15). Help me Father to have the right balance in holding firm to the truth you have clearly shown me, while still being very, very aware that I have done little more than scratch the surface of the glorious mysteries of You, Your world and Your Word. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment