Saturday, January 27, 2018

To shut up and say something different from what you think, is to warp your soul

Being an oversensitive individual, I am the very last person to be advocating deliberate insensitivity. However sooner or later, we will all be faced with the question “How far am I willing to go to avoid offending people who, with a thinly disguised political agenda, are looking for ways to take offence so as to silence any and all opposition?”

According to Wikipedia, The Human Rights Code of Newfoundland and Labrador has no provision for "emotional damages.” Well not yet! This is not the case in Ontario, Jordan Peterson, a professor at U of T and the author of the quote at the head of this post, tells of class a reaction to a video of a tall white man in his 30s who asked students how they would react if he told them he identified as a woman, as black, as short and as a 5 year old. The reaction was mostly accepting, but students were not engaging in discussion. And when asked why, it became clear that it was that they were afraid to speak their minds. There is such tyranny in the doctrine of political correctness!

Peterson relates that he has had hundreds of letters saying similar things. He also said that he had had conversations with a number of lawyers including one who has been counsel to a number of prime ministers. This lawyer told him that if he was brought up before the human rights tribunal, it would cost him $250,000, he would will lose and he would pay the legal costs for his opponents. The lawyer then told him to go back to his safe little life, and shut his mouth. Peterson has been branded as a far right extremist, but in my mind, this is all part of the war for our minds. Check it out for yourself on YouTube. I thank God this morning for the balanced wisdom and courage of this man. I am praying for him, please do the same!

Father, I cannot and must not close my eyes to the signs that the assault has already begun here in Newfoundland. And I need to figure out the how, the when and the what of how You want me to respond to it all. So I pray the serenity prayer again this morning “God give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference” in Jesus Name Amen

1 comment: