Tuesday, January 16, 2018

There is no pit so deep, that that God's love is not deeper still

This is a line from the movie “The hiding place,” which is the true story of the Ten Boom family who were sent to Ravensbrück concentration camp for hiding Jews during the Nazi occupation of Holland. Just before she dies one of the daughters Betsy, speaks this to her sister Corrie, and prophesying that she will be released, tells her to go and tell it to the world, and that the world will believe, because of where they have been.

The reality of God’s love it is so clearly demonstrated in the way He helped these two sisters not only to endure the hell of the concentration camp, but to be a strength and a witness to other inmates. Perhaps even more remarkable is that Corrie returned to Germany after the war with the message of forgiveness. She tells the story of her encounter with one of the crueler guards from the camp, and how though she struggled, she chose to forgive him, and as she did so God filled her heart with His love for him!

I watched this movie again (after a long time) over the weekend, and it helped me to realize again just how little, in comparison, He has asked me to endure over the years. And I am inspired again to trust Him, and to seek to love, as He has loved me. Betsy and Corrie, and other heroes of the faith, are part of a great cloud of witnesses that God has used, and is using, to motivate me to lay aside the weight and the sin that can so easily beset me, and to run with endurance the race He has set before me (Hebrews 12:1).

Lord, You never promised that we would not have trials, but You did promise to be with us in the trials, to give us grace to help in time of need, and that Your grace would be (and it is) sufficient. Lord You have proved Yourself faithful over and over! Help me Lord in times of trials both to look back at Your faithfulness, and to look to You the author and finisher of my faith. Thank You Lord that You always lead us in triumphant procession in Christ, and that I am learning to rest in that in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment