Saturday, September 8, 2018

My sheep here my voice (3) - Conviction is not condemnation

“I know you don’t like criticism, but…” Those words spoken over me, used to make me want to run, because I knew I was about to get called out! And it was true, I did not and do not like criticism. But actually what was coming, was often condemnation, rather constructive criticism. The New Testament is not like the Old, and the one who has put his or her trust in Jesus Christ has been set free from condemnation and judgement, and has passed from death to life (John 3:17; 5:24; Romans 8:1). He or she has become a child of the living God (John 1:12), and has entered into relationship with the Father (John 17:3). And when we commit and submit to that relationship we are dealt with as beloved sons or daughters (Hebrews 12:7). The Father, who it is no respecter of persons, then treats us as He does our brother Jesus, and the very first words we need to hear are “You are my beloved child in whom I am well pleased” (Mark 1:11).

As with Jesus, our identity as sons and daughters of the living God will be tested. The very first words out of the Devil’s mouth when Jesus was driven by the Spirit into the wilderness were “If you are the son of God...” (Matthew 4:3). Most Christians know in their minds, that they are God’s children, but not in their hearts. And getting the knowledge from our head to our hearts is likely going to be a process. In my own life, for the first twenty or so years my identity was more about what I did for the Lord than that I was His child. And knowing the love of God that surpasses all understanding needs to be our primary goal. Indeed it is a significant prayer focus for us (Ephesians 3:14-19). However if we are to know the reality of God’s love in this way as his children, that we needed to endure His chastening (Hebrews 12:7). The force of the Greek here, is that we remain under and wait on the instruction and discipline of the Lord.

Because I was subject to much graceless criticism, I found it very hard to receive any form of criticism at all, even that which would have greatly benefited me. And I rebelled! Many of us who have been taught that God is a punishing God, and not a loving Father, likewise react negatively to anything our loving Father might want to say to us for our good. But what I want to say this morning, is that conviction is not the same as condemnation, and that any correction that we receive from the Father is for our good (Hebrews 12:10). And if we are to learn to hear the voice of God accurately, we must not resist or take all lightly, the conviction of the Holy Spirit, and the discipline of the Lord (Hebrews 12:5). In particular, hearing His Voice, obeying and having true faith are inseparable (c.f Hebrews 3:15, 18, 19).

Father, from the very moment for salvation You call us saints, for this is how You choose to see us. And as You did with Gideon calling him a mighty warrior as he was hiding from the Midianites, You call us up to what You see, rather than calling us out. Essentially You are saying “Son or daughter, you are better than this.” Lord we will never learn to hear Your voice clearly and accurately if we are not willing to respond positively to the conviction of the Holy Spirit. You only do this because You love us and want the very best for us. Please help us Lord to trust You enough to submit to You in all things in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment