Sunday, October 21, 2018

But godliness with contentment is great gain

The context of this quote from 1 Timothy 6:6 is, of course, Paul’s letter to Timothy. Timothy clearly has the basic necessities of life, in particular food and clothing with which, Paul says “we will be content” (verse 8). In this same context Paul gives the well known saying that the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil (verse 10 NKJV). It is the love of it that is the problem, and when one loves money, rather than there being great gain, there is great temptation to stray from the faith, and in doing so be pierced through with many sorrows (verse 10). As I write this morning, the pot of Lotto Canada has reached one billion dollars, and ticket sales are up, really up! A friend of mine says about this, that it is a tax on the foolish! They were saying on TV that you have a better chance of being struck by lightening! Good luck!

But we can have overcome the deceitfulness of riches and still not be content. Other things that can rob our peace are the cares of this world, and the desires for other things (Mark 4:19). In particular worry, or envy, or bitterness or impatience, any of these things can rob us our peace and joy. Paul could declare “I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content” (Philippians 4:11), and I can say that I am learning. At some level I have great patience, waiting over twenty one years for Him to come through with what He has promised. On the other hand standing in line at the store the other day I allowed myself to become impatient. And before I knew it, my tone with the one serving me (when I eventually got there) was ungodly. It was perhaps understandable, but still inappropriate for an ambassador (2 Corinthians 5:20).

But I am learning! When I saw the reaction of the girl serving me I apologized to her. It really was not her fault, she was merely the recipient of the lightening bolts of mine and others frustration (I was not the only one who was impatient with her). I have learned not to beat myself up at such times. I used to be quite good at that! But I am learning to quickly obey His command to replace my frustration, or anger, or wounded pride with prayer and supplication with thanksgiving (Philippians 4:6). And in this way I soon return to the great gain of contentment. The sooner I obey, the sooner the peace returns (verse 7). After all it a promise!

Father, the thought comes to me again this morning, that in many things we all fail (James 3:2). Thank You that You are not disappointed with me when I fail, but You are faithful and just both to forgive and to cleanse me (1 John 1:9). While I am so aware that I have not yet arrived, I am learning to be content with progress. I am not what I want to be (I want to be like You), but I thank You this morning Lord, that I am not what I once was. Thank You Lord for Your patience with me, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment