Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Intimacy with God (X) Friends of God

In a society which increasingly confuses love and lust, we have substantially weakened the glue that is intended to hold romantic relationships together. In fact there are three different Greek words in the New Testament all translated “love” in English. The first is eros, or erotic love, the second phileo, or friendship love, and the third agape, God’s extravagant unconditional love. And when we engage in eros before it’s time (Ecclesiastes 3:5b), then the friendship love is stunted. Then when the passion of the eros love begins to fade, there is no friendship love to fall back on. And too often the relationship falls apart! This phenomena of the impatience of “I want what I want, and I want it now,” too easily carries over into our relationship with God. The Lord delights to give his children good gifts, but He withholds betimes either because we don’t ask, or because when we do ask , we ask to consume it on hedonistic pleasure, or as the King James version puts it our lusts (James 4:3).

In His private ministry to the eleven (after Judas had left John 13:30, 31), Jesus tells the disciples “Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you” (John 15:13, 14). We should not take it lightly this offer, to be friends with the living God. There is no greater friend, and the benefits are great. In particular He is ready willing and able to share His plans and purposes with us (John 15:15), and we become co-labourers with God in the Kingdom (1 Corinthians 3:9). He also takes us deeper into His embrace, where we are intended to experience the warmth of his friendship love, as well as all the benefits of His agape love (Psalm 68:19).

And these things are a strong glue that cement our relationship with Him. Indeed He has promised never to leave us nor forsake us (Hebrews 13:5), He honours us, He rejoices over us with singing (Zephaniah 3:17). I love the line in the song from Godfrey Birtill which describes His love “Like a bridegroom to his bride, Like a father to his precious child. And forever we belong together.” The chorus has the Lord singing to us “I say I think you're amazing, my love for you never changes, I say I think you’re amazing.” When we sing this I tell him “I received this Lord, and I think You are amazing too!”

Father, John declares “Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed upon us that we should be called the children of God and so we are (1 John 3:1 NIV). We are Your children, we are Your friends, we are Your co-labourers. You have given us such significance Lord, there is no one like You, not even close. It’s amazing Lord to realize that the son of God loved me and gave His life for me, little old me (Galatians 2:10)! In You Lord there is freedom and peace, and significance and hope, and security and Grace, and intimacy and joy. Well in You Lord there is life! And I give you all the honour and glory again this morning Lord in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment