Friday, October 5, 2018

The day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night… the heavens and earth will …. melt with fervent heat

While journaling this morning, the Lord brought this verse from 2 Peter 3:10 to my attention. In context Peter is reminding us that the Lord is not slow to fulfill His promises, but the delay is there because He is not willing that any should perish but all come to repentance (verses 8,9). Nevertheless, the Day of the Lord will come, and I am grateful this morning for the firm foundation that is Christ. I am also grateful for the assurance He gives in His Word, that though I will have to give an account of every idle word (Matthew 12:36), and though some of my works may well be burned up, even so, I will be saved yet possibly only as by fire (1 Corinthians 3:11-15).

It is not politically correct in our day, to speak of the things of which the Lord is reminding me this morning. And if and when we speak we will often be met with hostility. Part of this is the willing ignorance that Peter speaks about in this same passage (verse 5). Nevertheless, into this widespread denial, we are commissioned to be His ambassadors. He has entrusted unto us the ministry of reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:18-20). And it is a challenge to know how to do this in the face of widespread opposition to all things Christian. I had to learn the hard way that there are times when speaking is counterproductive. In particular, such is often the case when the other person is not listening. But how then are we to carry out our commission?

Well "There is a time to speak and a time to be silent" (Ecclesiastes 3:7). Seeing the difficulty in these last days Peter, in the context of this morning's verse asks “Seeing as how these things be what manner or men aught we to be?” He answers “You ought to live holy and godly lives” (verse 11 NIV). In particular first and foremost we need to “live such good lives among unbelievers so that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us” (1 Peter 2:12; Matthew 5:16). And in knowing when to speak and when to be silent we need to rely on the voice of the Shepherd. I need His serenity when He tells me to be silent (especially with those I love so dearly). And I need His courage and wisdom to know what to speak when He tells me "now is the time" (James 1:19)!

Lord, Paul tells us that we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. We are the fragrance of life to those who are being saved, but a fragrance of death to those who are perishing. And who is sufficient for these things (2 Corinthians 2:15,16)? Who is sufficient indeed? The thought Lord that You might use my words or my deeds to point out to someone that “they are without excuse” (Romans 1:20) motives me to want to live a Kingdom oriented life before You. I cannot do this without You. Thank You Lord for Your lavish grace to be all that You call us to be in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment