Saturday, July 7, 2018

And we know that all things work together for good for those who love God (i)

In the context of this partial quote from Romans 8:28, Paul has been talking about the sufferings of this present time (verse 18), and the inner conflict that that causes within us (verse 23). Paul is not here saying that evil is good, rather that for those of us who love God and are called according to his purpose, God uses the evil we encounter to work for our good. The trials and temptations of life are universal, they happen to us all (1 Corinthians 10:13), but the promise that God works through the evil for our good is for those who have responded or will respond to His call.

The “And we know” part of this morning’s verse is is key to our responding the way the Lord would have us respond to our trials and tribulations. In particular the settled knowledge that our sovereign Lord is in control, and is somehow or other working behind the scenes , for our good, is designed to help us to face these trials and tribulations with faith. In fact there are times, when the Lord shows us exactly how He’s doing this. But most of the time, at least in my life, I don’t have a clue. But then I tell Him “At this point in time I really don’t know how this could possibly ever work for my good, but I choose to trust You, and with Your help to stop obsessing about it!”

And to be realistic, compared with the persecution and the trials of other brothers and sisters in Christ around the globe, my trials are pretty small. The Lord had shown Paul how much he would suffer for his sake (Acts 9:16), yet Paul could talk about “this light momentary affliction which is not worthy to be compared to the glory that is to be revealed in us (verse 18 of this chapter).

Father, thank You that as I bring my trials and tribulations, great and small to You, You remind me over and over of this Your perspective. Thank You that eye has not seen nor ear heard, nor has it entered into the heart of man what You have prepared for those of us who love You (1 Corinthians 2:9). And thank You for the grace You give not only to carry on, but to rise above the circumstances. There is no one like You Lord, and I thank You this morning that you are actively at work in all things for my good because I love You and You have called me for Your purposes in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment