Monday, July 9, 2018

Though the fig trees do not blossoms …. Yet I will rejoice in the LORD

The NLT version of this extract from Habakuk 3:17ff has “Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet will I rejoice in the Lord.” Habakuk is telling us that in spite of the devastation happening all around, still he chooses to rejoice in the Lord. And he goes on to say that the LORD “will make my feet like deer’s feet, And He will make me walk on my high hills.” In other words, when Habakkuk in spite of it all chooses to rejoice, the Lord will lift Habakuk's spirit above the circumstances.

Habakkuk had seen the devastation as God’s discipline on Israel. The Scripture tells us, “Whom the Lord loves he disciplines” (Hebrews 12:6). And whether we see the devastation and chaos in our own culture is direct intervention from God, or the natural consequences of reaping what we sow, we do need to choose to rejoice. In fact it’s a command “Rejoice in the Lord always,” and just in case we didn’t get it “again I say rejoice” (Philippians 4:4)!

I am remembering this morning the opening line from the novel ‘A Tale of Two Cities’ by Charles Dickens “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.” There is so much in our culture that causes me grief, but I’m not going to go there this morning. Because what I think the Lord is telling me, is that I need to look at what He is doing, not at what I do not see Him doing! But actually, as the scripturally based chorus puts it “He works in ways we cannot see, He will make a way for me.” And as I choose to believe this, it helps me to rejoice.

Father, Your words tells me that You always lead us in triumphant procession in Christ (2 Corinthians 2:14). Help me this morning Lord, to keep my eyes on You, to thank and praise You for what you are doing even for those things I cannot see! And I trust You again this morning that you have my back, and my best interests at heart. And I thank You for the strength You gave to make my feet like deer's feet so that I can rise and live above the circumstances. And I give you the honour glory and praise in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment