Thursday, July 19, 2018

If you seek Him, He will be found by you (1 Chronicles 28:9)

Have you ever thought that it would be so much easier if God would simply show Himself? But He is invisible for a reason! The Scripture says that no man can see God and live (Exodus 33:20). This does not mean that we cannot experience Him, indeed the essence of Christianity is relationship with Him. In His high priestly prayer Jesus says “This is eternal life, that they may know You, the One true God and Jesus Christ whom You sent” (John 17:3).

At the age of 14, I was still unbelievably innocent, and there is no eroticism in what I’m about to share. But my fantasy at that time concerned the gorgeous belly dancers that were featured so prominently in the then the current movies. I would be laid back on the couch with my right arm flying back over my head, as this gorgeous creature would drop grapes into my mouth. And I would say to her “You may proceed to smother me with kisses!” In this fantasy I was passive, and as I think about it now, that reality could have been no fun for her, rather like kissing a wet sponge! In other words, I would have been a limp lover, yuck!

I certainly would not be satisfied with a limp lover, and it seems God is not either. Has he not told us that we are to love Him with all our heart, mind, soul and strength (Mark 12:30)? Likewise if we are to seek Him, then to do this with anything less than full on passion, is not worthy of Him. For too long, my search was searching for knowledge about Him, rather than relationship with Him. Indeed the point of the Scriptures, is that they speak about Him in order that we may come to Him, and to have life in all its fullness (John 5:39; 10:10b).

Father, You have told us that we will search for You and find You when we search for You with all of our heart (Jeremiah 29:13). Let us not, let me not, ever be apathetic towards You. You would rather we were either hot or cold, because when we are lukewarm it makes you want to spit us out of your mouth (Revelation 3:16). Forgive us Lord, forgive me, for the times that I have not been fully engaged with You. Reignite the flame this morning Lord, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment