Sunday, July 15, 2018

Do you believe what He believes about you?

The name of a song by Godfrey Birtill on his album “A chip of the old block,” is entitled “Do you believe what I believe about you?” It is sung prophetically as if God is asking the question. And the song itself came out of an unusual translation of Galatians 3:1 which starts with “Oh you beautiful idiots who has bewitched you?” After embracing the gospel of grace, the Galatians gone back to trying to earn their salvation by keeping the law. And as Godfrey was leading the worship at a recent conference, he pointed out the necessity of this teaching. The point is that much of what many of us do in the church, is performance-based.

How many of us beat ourselves up when we do something wrong? The negative self talk where we put ourselves down and berate ourselves for something we have done, is quite destructive. God does not treat is this way, and if He does not treat us this way, then neither should we treat ourselves this way. We do not, or at least we should not, condemn or put little children down when they mess up. And we are His children! We need to learn to deal with ourselves and others the way that Jesus treated the disciples when they messed up. In particular He dealt with them in gentle humility, affording them dignity and respect while teaching and correcting them (i.e. Mark 9:33ff; 2 Timothy 2:24).

This song touched my heart, and one verse in particular “Do you believe what I believe about you? With delight I’m singing over you, like a bridegroom to his bride, like a father to his precious child. And forever we belong together. I think you’re amazing, my love never changes, I say I think you’re amazing!” Words have such power! What we speak over ourselves and others has power. Godfrey tells of how just singing these words over people in prison and in mental institutions has actually set people free. And I can say, and mean as I see God’s heart for you and me this morning, that He thinks you too are amazing!

Father, it’s taken a long time for me to get this from my head into my heart. But it’s not just words anymore, I know in my heart that I am a beloved and precious child even when I mess up. And I know that You think the very same thing about each and everyone who is reading this blog. Let these words go deep into our hearts Lord, because when they do, they are transforming. Forgive us Lord, for the times we have chosen to believe the lies of the enemy, and to believe that You think anything less of us than You do. And I thank You again this morning for Your unconditional love and grace and mercy in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment