Sunday, July 1, 2018

There is no pit so deep God’s love is not deeper still

This is a quote often attributed to Corrie ten Boom, but actually it was her sister Betsie who died in Ravensbrück concentration camp, who first uttered these words. The ten Boom family had been hiding Jews in their home in Holland during the Nazi occupation, were caught and sent to the living hell of Ravensbrück. By the grace of God, the two sisters had shared the love of God to the other inmates. Betsie, with reference to this phrase, told Corrie “They will believe us, because of where we have been.”

Corrie was released by an “accidental” clerical error, and after the war went around preaching a message of forgiveness. She encountered one of the crueler guards who asked her for forgiveness and, not without a struggle, she did. As part of what helped her, she tells that she thought on the ministry she had started for victims of the concentration camps. And what she had observed, was that those who could forgive were healed, and those who could not, were not. It was as simple, and as horrible as that!

So Corrie is one of my heroes, and I have been helped much by her example. The phrase that Betsie spoke has been particularly meaningful to me, because part of my life verses Psalm 40:2,3 speak of Him lifting me out of a desolate pit, setting my feet on a rock and putting a song of praise in my mouth. In fact it is my testimony, and though my desolate pits were nowhere near as deep as Betsie’s and Corrie’s, they were deep to me, and I can certainly testify that God’s love was indeed deeper still.

Father, sometimes being asked to forgive can seem more abusive than the original abuse! But unforgiveness blocks Your love, and we need to forgive for our own sake. I see so many Father, who are stuck in pain and misery because of a combined inability and unwillingness to forgive. Indeed we cannot do it without You, I cannot! But when we totally surrender to You, then all things are possible, and Your ways are always best. Please help those reading this blog this morning Lord who are in a desolate pit, and are in need of your love and grace in order to escape. Thank You that Your grace is enough, and I bless You this morning Lord in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment