Friday, July 27, 2018

The fruit of the Spirit (I) is Love

Last day, I was talking about the conditions for growth, for a tree (well us actually) to produce fruit. The next few days I will be talking about the fruit of the Spirit, what it is, and what is our part in making sure the conditions are right for it to grow. In particular since love is part of the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22), then it is both something the Spirit does. But it is also something that is commanded. For example Jesus tells us “Love one another as I have loved you" (John 15:12).

When I was 16, and while I still did not belong to the Lord, I heard Him, not audibly of course, but clearly, and for the first time. And what He said was “Why are you running away from me Phil, all I want you to do is to love for me?” I knew it was Him, I have no idea how I knew it was Him, but I did know! And what I said to Him was “Well I don’t need you for that!” In my naivety, I had no idea how wrong I was. For me at that time, love was nothing but a feeling, and I felt a lot of love. What I did not realize, was how easily my “love” could turn to hate when things went wrong. I had not read “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs” (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5).

Not that long ago, someone and I know and love told me “I didn’t realize how selfish I was until I got married.” The dream that most of us have in our naïveté, that we will live happily ever after, too easily turns into a nightmare. And in particular in order for a marriage to survive, our selfishness needs to die. Paul talks about this in the very same contexts as this morning’s verse. What he says is “Those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires” (Galatians 5:24). In particular we cannot be full of the love that the Spirit provides, when we are full of self!

Father, I am reminded again this morning that You are the source of love (1 John 4:19), and our lack of love, my lack of love, is there to remind us how very much we need to stay vitally connected to You by Your Spirit. But there is no condemnation here Lord, even though in many things I fail (Romans 8:1; James 3:2). And I feel no condemnation this morning Lord, only joy as I once again commit and surrender to You. Thank You for Your love Lord, and that in You, and in You alone, there is life and health and peace in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment