Saturday, July 8, 2017

Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us!

This has to be the scariest prayer you could ever pray. What we are saying is “Father I want you to forgive me in exactly the same way that I forgive others.” So we need to ask ourselves “Exactly how do I forgive?” Jesus tells us explicitly in this quote from the Lord’s prayer in Matthew 6, that if we forgive then we will be forgiven, but if we do not forgive neither will we be forgiven.

Not only is this perhaps the scariest prayer, it is perhaps one of the hardest principles in the Christian faith. Some of us have had things happen to us that in all rational ways of thinking could be described as unforgivable. In fact for some, being told to forgive, can feel just as abusive as the original abuse. In terms of justice, it’s easy to feel that the other person deserves our resentment and even revenge. But the Lord says “Revenge is mine, I will repay!”

Somebody has said “Failing to forgive someone, is like allowing them to live rent free in your head.” One of my addictive tendencies was obsessive thinking. I’m sure you know what I mean, with thoughts going round, and round, and round in your head. And in the midst of this type of addiction, we are not free, and we are not healed! We need to realize once again, that when Jesus gives us a command, it is for our provision and our protection. In this case the road to freedom is to forgive, no matter how difficult, and how atrocious the offense. This is our provision. In terms of protection, when we fail to forgive, we leave ourselves open to manipulation by the enemy of our souls.

So the one who benefits the most when we forgive, is ourselves, and it is an act of faith and trust in God to turn it all over to him. To quote again what is written above “Revenge is mine” says the Lord “I will repay!” I can leave it to Him, and I may need to keep placing it in His hands over and over again. Forgiveness is a process, He forgives instantly, for us many times it’s a battle.

Father, help me to forgive like you do, instantly, freely and fully. You know that with me this is a process in which I need your help, because there are times when for a while, resentment and revenge feels so sweet. The Scripture says that there is a way that seems right in to a man but the end thereof is death. I choose life In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment