Tuesday, July 18, 2017

know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death, and cover a multitude of sins.

This final admonition from the book of James (5:20) is very different from the live and let live philosophy of many. Actually in this era of political correctness, the final verse from Romans chapter 1 seems more applicable. It speaks of those who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things (sin) are deserving of death, not only do the same, but also approve of those who practice them. The point is, that though according to the Bible the consequences of unrepentant sin are severe, nevertheless intervention even in love, is many times unwelcome. Notwithstanding, what James is saying here holds true!

There is no room for judgement or self-righteousness here. Paul in Galatians 6:1 speaks of the manna in which we should follow through on this admonition. He tells us that we should consider ourselves lest we also be tempted. In the prison ministry in which I’m involved, I often tell the men that one of the big differences between them and me, if they don’t know the Lord, is that I’m forgiven, and they are not! The other thing I often say, is “You got caught, and I did not!”

There are many ways to get this wrong. It is the Spirit who convicts of sin, righteousness and judgement, not me! The Scripture tells me to judge not, that I be not judged. But even when my attitude is non-judgemental, it can be received as being judgemental. There is of course a big difference between judging, which carries the element of condemnation, and the act of discerning that something is wrong. I am in no position to judge others, but I would be blind if I did not discern the bad choices that I and others make. And we cannot obey this admonition from James if we do not discern the transgression of the other.

One way to broach the subject, is to realize that our choices have consequences, that is what the curse is all about. In fact the bad consequences of our bad choices are designed to bring us back along the right path. So it might be helpful to see ourselves as midwives gently helping others to see the consequences of their actions. Again, this is the way I tend to approach the men in the pen. I tell them “In your position I would likely see my internment as a huge wake-up call, a moment of clarity, that would help me to reevaluate my life.” I may then go on to share my own moments of clarity, and how that led me to the Lord.

Father, help me not to neglect this responsibility that You have laid upon me. I can’t do this without You, guide me and lead me to know when to speak, when to be silent and when to simply live my life in a way that brings honour and glory to You in Jesus name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment