Sunday, July 30, 2017

If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above …Collossians 3:1

As I meditated on this verse this morning, I was reminded once again of the interconnectedness of Scripture. Paul could talk about comparing spiritual things with spiritual things. This phrase “If then you were raised with Christ,” is reminiscent of Paul’s teaching on full immersion baptism. The idea of course, is that going down and being covered by the waters is a picture of death and burial. And coming up out of the water, is a picture of resurrection.So one on the things that this prophetic symbolism does, is to identify us not only with Christ in his death, but also with Him in his resurrection.

So Paul is reminding us that the power of the resurrection is available to us, and then goes on to talk about putting off the sinful nature, and putting on the nature of Christ. In this way by starting off by saying “if, Paul is not only reminding us of the significance of baptism, but he is calling us to once again live this life in the perspective of the Kingdom and of eternity.

And we do need to be reminded of this over and over. Part of this is because of the invasive propaganda of the world. I remember when I was faculty advisor to our local student Christian group, that I was ministering to young man who was studying philosophy, with a specialization in Nietzsche. It was dragging him down, down into the depths of the blackness of Nietzsche’s philosophy. I remember, perhaps a little glibly, suggesting he needed to spend as much time in the Scripture as he did studying Nietzsche.

What I knew for sure, is that he needed constant reminders of the true reality to be found in Christ. I have come to realize is that the type of thinking we immerse ourselves in becomes our reality, even when it’s a lie. But it’s not just in situations as extreme as my friends that we need this constant reminder, we need it to fortify ourselves against the seduction of the World’s philosophies and of the flesh.

I suggested to my friend that we go back to my office and pray. He got down on his knees and started in a mournful voice to say “Oh God, it’s come to this. You are my only hope!” I felt led to interject “Yes, Hallelujah, what a hope!” What happened next was amazing, my friend's whole perspective changed, and he said with joy “Yes, yes. I’m encouraged, You are an incredible and amazing hope!”

Father, I acknowledge this morning, that I am indeed raised with Christ, and I am seated next to Him in the heavenlies. This means that I am seated next to the one who has the solution to every problem. Open my eyes to the incredible reality of this, and increase my faith, hope and joy. And I will give you all the honour, or the glory, and all the praise in Jesus name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment