Sunday, July 2, 2017

I believe, help my unbelief

The Lord brought this verse to my mind this morning, as we wait to hear what will happen about my granddaughter's heart surgery. The context of this verse from Mark 9:24, is of a father having brought his son to Jesus. The problem was that the son often threw himself into the fire or into water, and the disciples had been unable to help.

The father’s faith was small. “If you can do anything for us, have compassion on us,” he had said it to the Lord. The Lord had replied “All things are possible to he who believes,” and the phrase at the title of this post was the father’s reply. It’s interesting to me to note the Scripture says that the father’s response was “with tears.” Scriptures like this help me to know that He knows what we are going through, and that He goes through it with us.

Most of us who have children, would gladly take the child’s place when they are ill. We had hoped that a less invasive procedure they had suggested would have worked. I had felt sure this was an answer to our prayers from the Lord. But it was not to be, the less invasive procedure did not work. At times like this, as we wait, there is confusion, tears and anguish. The Lord had told me two days ago again this morning “you do not know what I am doing now, but you will know.”

I am very aware at times like this, I need to choose to trust, and the relevance and beauty of stories like this help me greatly.

Father, I believe, help my unbelief, in Jesus name amen

No comments:

Post a Comment