Thursday, October 19, 2017

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, they shall be filled (Matthew 5:9)

The world tends to see holiness and righteousness in legalistic terms, but the true perspective is beauty, "Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness" (Psalm 96:9). I first caught a glimpse of this years ago as a non-Christian, when the father of a friend was telling me of a time he resisted sexual temptation. I suddenly found myself longing for purity. I was a long way from it!

So much of what we feed ourselves on is counterfeit, no wonder at the end of the day we find ourselves empty an unfulfilled. The Scriptures point us to what is true over and over. “Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you” (Matthew 6:33). What things? Well first and foremost, the things that concern us, He will work them out when we choose to trust Him in this way. But secondly He will fulfil the hunger within us which, in the end, is a hunger for Him!

You’ve heard it before, what Pascal said “Inside each one of us is a God shaped hole that only He can fill.” The songs came to me this morning “Hungry I come to You, for I know You satisfy,” this, and the line from Breathe “I’m desperate for You.” A number of us have a real sense that God is about to move mightily here in St. John’s. There is a midweek meeting in a local church that started spontaneously, and is drawing people from many different churches. There is a real hunger there for the more of God, and it seems to be true that God responds more to hunger then to desperation. But the more I get of Him, the more I want, the more I need!

Father, I am desperate for You, I must have more of You, thank You for this promise this morning that as I hunger and thirst for You and for Your righteousness, and Your kingdom, then I can claim Your promise “I will be filled.” You are already doing this Father, but I need more! I love You Lord in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment