Sunday, October 15, 2017

We are not ignorant of his devices

I had a dream last night that I was let down and manipulated by my beautiful daughter. But she is not like that, and I knew immediately that (rightly or wrongly) it was about my feeling let down again by those who should not let us down, other Christians.

There is an echo in this, of an old problem that beset me from time to time, namely my obsessive thinking. You know what I mean, when your thoughts go round and round and round and round in your head. Thankfully I have learned to take authority over such thoughts, and leave it to God take care of. There is probably within each one of us the feeling that we should right every wrong, and set everyone straight, that is of course everyone except ourselves! More often than not, when we act on this we fall into the bait of Satan, but as the Scripture says, we are not ignorant of his devices.

This extract from 2 Corinthians 2:11, is talking about the Evil one. I find it hard at times to believe this verse, since there have certainly been times that whether I am ignorant of his devices are not, I have allowed him to take advantage of me. The context of this verse is about forgiveness, and when there is unforgiveness in our heart, the devil is able to manipulate us into doing his will.

It’s not that we should never address problems, but as I chose to bring this to the Lord this morning, He told me to leave it with Him. Revenge is mine says the Lord, I will repay (Romans 12:19). That might be a bit strong, and I am also sensing that if the problem had been with my daughter, which it was not, the Lord may well have asked me to deal with it in love. But in the situation that was on my heart this morning, there is no real relationship, nor is there likely to be. And when there is no relationship, trying to correct things is likely to be counterproductive.

This still leaves the puzzle of my feelings about the fact that many of us are indeed ignorant of his devices. My way around this at this point in time, is to rather regard this statement as an admonition not to be ignorant of his devices. In particular to be quick to forgive even where there is no repentance.

Father, thank You that I am learning to quickly bring the things to You that could easily offend me. At such times, help me to remember Your mercy to me. I cannot cast the first stone because I am not without sin (John 8:7). Thank You Lord that as I bring things to You, I quickly return to peace. I don’t know what I would do without You Lord, I cannot go back to my obsessive thinking. It is for freedom that You set me free (Galatians 5:1), and it is in freedom that You desire to keep me. I praise and bless and honour Your amazing and wonderful Name. I bless You Lord in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment