Tuesday, October 24, 2017

That’s what I want when I die

We had lingered too long the faculty club, I needed to get him to the airport, and I needed to get back to class. I heard the siren, and pulled over, and went to his window before he could get out. He took my drivers license, and after he had checked in to make sure I was not a local drug Lord, or that I was not driving a stolen car he said to me “You were speeding sir.” 'Yes,' I said. Taken completely aback by my honesty he could do nothing but exclaim “What!” 'Yes, I told him 'I was speeding.' “Go on, get out of here,” he said dismissing me with his hand. When I got back in the car, it’s what I said to my friend 'That’s what I went when I die!' “What?” 'Mercy, not justice!'

It wasn’t the fear of what will happen when I die that brought me to the Lord. No, it was more in response to “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light” (Matthew 11:28 – 30).

I had come under heavy conviction concerning my self-centred rebellious lifestyle. I had tried to turn over a new leaf, it had not worked. I had tried, but I had built up appetites that demanded to be satisfied, and slowly at first, but then more rapidly I fell flat in the mud on my rear end! And my letter state was far worse than the former on (Luke 11:24-26). I didn't know then that I needed Him to change my desires and to give me the wherewithal to do what I could not do without Him (Philippians 2:12,13).

This morning, sitting on my bench outside in my winter coat in the dark, I was remembering the turmoil of my former life. And I was savouring the peace, the joy and the rest that I had entered into, which is promised to me and to all who fully follow Him.

Father, I want to thank You this morning, that more that more I am entering into the fullness of life in You. The line from the song “I need You more,” comes to mind “and I never want to go back to my old life!” I praise and blessed Your holy name this morning Father, and I give You all the honour, and the glory and all the praise in Jesus Name Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment