Friday, October 27, 2017

But let perseverance completed its work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing

In many ways I can identify with the child’s cry on a long journey “Are we nearly there yet mom?” I’m talking about my own desire to get out from under the trials and temptations and tribulations that are the lot of all of us in life. And I know that the Lord is often far more interested in the journey, and how we handle the journey, than He is in our arriving the destination.

I have been waiting over 20 years for the fulfillment of a promise He gave to me. And He has confirmed it in many ways. He even recently fulfilled a promises e gave me in the same period of time, but still I do not find waiting easy. So what does it mean, to let patience or perseverance complete its work? Well first and foremost, it is not intended to be passive. The “But” in this quote from James 1:4, links it to the previous admonition in verse 2 where we are told to count it all joy when we find ourselves in these trials, tribulations and temptations.

Joy, is part of the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22), but it is also commanded both here and in Philippians 4:4 where we are told “Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice.” If I’m understanding this correctly, we are being told that we have a part to play in living in joy, and He has a part to play too. When we do our part He will do His. And in fact, I need to be reminded of my part over and over.

So what is my part? Verse 3 says “knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.” In particular it’s about knowing something, it’s about knowing that our faith is being tested, and that this testing has a purpose. It’s our growth, it’s about being made more and more like Jesus (Romans 8:29). Most of us are a long way from this, I am! No wonder it takes a long time.

I am not like Jesus, but I want to be. He is my hero, my supreme example of someone who lived fully for God. It is said of Him “Who for the joy that was set before him, endured the cross despising the shame” (Hebrews 12:2). So what we are being told here, is that these trials, tribulations and temptations, are barriers the other side of which is joy. And what we need to do is push through the pain to joy!

Father, You have promised “Sorrow may endure for the night, but joy comes in the morning” (Psalm 30:5)! I choose to rejoice again this morning, trusting that when I do my part You will do Yours. Thank You for the many promises that help me to live the Christian life. Thank You that You have not left me to struggle alone. Your Spirit is with me for ever! I thank You in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment