Wednesday, October 11, 2017

The period between the promise given and its fulfillment

I want what I want, and I want it now! If we are honest this is, or at least has been, each and every one of us at some time or another. To put it mildly, delayed gratification is not the strong suit of our culture! But The instant society, the society that has a pill for every ailment, is not conducive to maturity!

God wants to grow us up, and one of the ways that He does this, is to give us a promise and to delay its fulfillment. The Scripture tells me that without faith it is impossible to please God, and one manifestation of our faith that pleases Him perhaps the most, is to believe the promise when there is absolutely no sign of its fulfillment.

The delay in answering prayers, the period between the time the promises given and its fulfillment, has been described as a fire, a fire that tests us. We may need to wrestle through the pain, through the fear and through the doubt. There are times that God even sends the trials to test us to see what is in our hearts (Deuteronomy 8:2). But He also tells us, that when He has tried us, we will come forth as gold (Job 23:10).

It starts with choosing to believe that what He has said He will do. We need to realize, I do, that He works in ways we cannot see, but He will indeed make a way for me. He is the one who makes rivers in the desert, and a highway in the wilderness. One of the promises that I have clung to is from Psalm 126:5 “Those who sow in tears Shall surely reap in joy." I have shed many tears, and so I qualify!

I have a file on my computer that I go to again and again. In this file I have written down many of the promises from His word that He has illuminated for me day by day as I sit with Him and read His Word. I have found that rehearsing His promises in His presence strengthens me and gives me the courage to go on when thoughts, feelings and doubts threaten to assail me.

Father, thank You that Your Word and Your promises are true. Thank You that You are not a man You should lie but You will surely fulfill all that You have promised. Like the barren woman, I choose to sing and to rejoice and to believe even when I do not see. I thank You in advance for all that You are about to do. Do not delay any longer O Lord my strength and my shield.

No comments:

Post a Comment