Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ

Even after over 40 years of being a Christian, and spending at least some time every day in the Word, there is still times when I read something and it sounds to me like mumbo-jumbo. I have learned however, that I am always missing something when I feel this way. I have been asking the Lord every morning to give me something first and foremost for me, but also something to share on my blog. In fact he gave me the above verse yesterday from Ephesians 1:3, and I had no idea what to do with it.

Since he had given me nothing else this morning, I thought I had better start to meditate on it! Let me start with the thought that he has blessed us with every spiritual blessing, and that these blessings are in heavenly places, and that they are in heavenly places in Christ.

As I thought about the phrase “in Christ,” which at first sight seemed to be just tacked onto the end, I was drawn to Colossians 2:3 which tells me that in Christ “are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.” These treasures are hidden! On the other hand “it is the glory of God to conceal the matter, but the glory of Kings to search them out” (Proverbs 25:2). We of course, are kings (Revelation 5:10)!

So our spiritual blessings, which include the treasures of wisdom and knowledge, are hidden in Christ, and in heavenly places. The picture that I have of this, is that there are things, treasures, that are available to those who are in Christ, and that we need, so to speak, to pull them down into the here and now. In particular when God gives us a promise, since He is outside of time, He sees them as already accomplished, already fulfilled. So we need to see things from this perspective and to stand in faith to receive them. In this way we follow Abraham who “believed—God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did” (Romans 4:17).

Father, thank You for these thoughts which help me to see, that I have only just begun to see what You have laid up and made available to me and all who love You. I know that it is Your desire that I seek the things which are above where Christ is (Colossians 3:1). Continue to draw me to Yourself, continue to open my eyes to all that You have for me, and please increase my hunger for You and for Your Kingdom in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment